Friday, April 4, 2008
career change?
This school year I had the opportunity to work for Provo Parks and Rec, first as a soccer referee for youth starting with 3 year olds and going up to 6th graders. Once soccer ended, I moved on to reffing youth basketball, then started scorekeeping for basketball--youth up to adult. It was the beginning of a life long love affair. Along with basketball, I also reffed indoor youth soccer and taught young kids how to play basketball. None of these were extremely difficult, but it brought me great joy, scorekeeping especially. 4 months of watching city league basketball, I got to know the guys playing and the people I worked with. Now they're some of my close friends. I love those guys. Being able to watch hours upon hours of basketball each week and get paid for it, reminded me of my love for the sport, the love that I had had years and years ago as a child. It was my first love, even before football. And many of you know how much I love football. Now, a story. Tuesday, I went to Nate and Adam's intramural basketball game. I didn't realize that the team they were playing was Brian's, along with a bunch of other city league guys. Made it difficult for me to choose who to cheer for (I cheered for both, by the way). I was excited about actually just WATCHING a game with aaron, since I hadn't really done that this season. Unfortunately, right before the game started, Brian yelled up to Aaron that they needed a scorekeeper. I stood up and looked at him with a confused look on my face and said, "Uh, Brian? Pro scorekeeper here...?" It dawned on him that I knew what I was doing so I was recruited to keep score for their team. During half time, I looked up at Aaron, who was still sitting in the stands above the court and said "hey, I should like, make this a career, huh?" It seems I can never quite get away from scorekeeping (I might even do this this summer in Maryland for the Gaithersburg Park and Rec). So this got me to thinking Wednesday, as I was walking from dance history to constitutional law, that I would LOVE to do this as a career. But, then it occurred to me that I probably wouldn't make much money from it, unless I worked in the NBA. So then I thought, well, i NEED to do something in sports, but in order to be a broadcaster, I would have to change my major, causing hassle and headaches that I don't want to deal with, and plus, I'm not very good at improvisation when I speak, unless it's something I'm really passionate about. Even then, it's not perfect. So then I thought...sports writing! I can write a column about sports, any sport, be able to attend events and games and still be surrounded by the atmosphere I love! So I texted my mother and asked how I would do that without changing my major. Needless to say, she wasn't pleased. But really, I wouldn't change my major, that would be stupid. I would still graduate with a BS in political science, but I needed to find a way to be able to become a sports writer. Minors wouldn't really help me. But I figure I could do it: I love sports, I KNOW sports, and I'm a good writer. Not a bad idea, eh? :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Placa de Vídeo, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://placa-de-video.blogspot.com. A hug.
ReplyDelete