Wednesday, March 2, 2011

i should probably stop and think before i speak...

Anyone that knows me, knows that I have a tendency to say what I feel.
I'm very opinionated, blunt, bold, non-censored (to a degree)
Sometimes that gets me in trouble.
Sometimes, people just look at me like I'm crazy for saying those kinds of things.
Mostly, I do it to people that I know fairly well (or know me well) and that I'm comfortable enough with.

It's always funny though, when I do say something that may to some people seem over the top, and their reaction consists of one of the following:

"Kayla, I can't believe you just said that!"
"wow, that was rude"
"really?"
"....."

People don't realize though that I actually DO think about what I'm about to say, before I say it. I think about how people will react to it, whether or not it's directed at them, and the consequences of saying it. If i feel like the benefit of saying it vs holding it inside is greater, then I'll go for it.
Perhaps there are times that, yes, I could find a better, nicer way of saying things. I don't say what I say to hurt people's feelings or to get a rise out of anyone. I say it because I have the right to, and people have the right to know the truth, or to know what's on my mind.

An example, maybe:
Saturday night people were over at WQ C after attending Jordan's party at 104 (where Abby and I had a discussion about a certain friend's "junk in the trunk".
After most people had left and there were just four of us there, we began talking about said friend and their sibling and I pointed out the comparison of one's junk vs the other. (and said it this way: "yeah _____ you've definitely got more junk in the trunk than ____") this friend agreed with me and proceeded to point out other dissimilarities.
one of the other girls in the room cried out, "kayla! i can't believe you just said that!"
I didn't think it was bad. In fact, I had mulled over that thought for the last couple hours before saying it and realized, this friend and I are good enough friends that it wouldn't be weird if I said it, and if it were, it wouldn't really make a difference.
I don't regret saying it, it was slightly humorous, and this friend is not easily offended, whatsoever. Overall, I felt like it was neither good nor bad, just a pointed out fact of life.

As such, I will not censor myself (unless I deem it necessary based on my experiences with the individuals involved) and will continue to say what I feel, when I feel it.

2 comments:

  1. To be fair to Girl, she thought you were talking about junk in the front.
    I often think about butts for hours at a time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently, i think about them more than i had originally thought.
    okay okay, let's be honest, i just think about BOYS all the time.

    ReplyDelete