Monday, July 6, 2009

sweet sweet summertime

Well, I suppose it's time I actually updated this thing as opposed to just posting old pictures, huh? Unfortunately, you'll only get words, as my camera broke last month, so I haven't been able to take any of my recent endeavors. I should probably start using my polaroid camera again...I will. That'll be my goal for this week.
Spring term ended rather abruptly, people left and shortly thereafter, Summer term started. I feel like my time here is coming to an end faster than I would like it to. However, it has been a marvelous last few weeks and I wouldn't take them back for anything. Work has been keeping me pretty busy most nights, which isn't terrible, since I love my job, but it has put a damper on my social life. Not like I really hang out with anyone other than Mark, but still. I worked about 40 hours in two weeks (and remember, this is a part time job) and made pretty good money, so I can't complain about that. I also got to enjoy the rain, thunder/lightening and the rare sunshine that decided to grace us.
The ward held a pool party a couple weekends ago which was fabulous--kabobs, swimming, sunshine and friends. I couldn't have asked for a better afternoon. This past weekend though was fantastic. Chock full of activities and fun. I am lacking sleep now, but it was all worth it.
Friday Mark and I went to Old Navy to try and get me some shorts...I failed. But he grabbed some shirts, so it wasn't all in vain. Then we went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house up in South Jordan. It was a beautiful temple (as they all are) but the wait was a lot longer than we had hoped or expected. It was all good though. The temple is worth it.
After the temple, I left to go to a rodeo in Oakley with a friend and his family. It was my first rodeo since I was a kid and it was all I could hope for. No injuries though, but entertaining enough.
Saturday, the 4th, the alarm went off a little too early for my liking, but a parade and free pancake breakfast with the ward was enough to get me going. It was insane, having all of Utah Valley lining the streets watching this parade. What was even stranger was having them all camp out the day before. Coming home late Friday night, I had never seen so many people out and about in Provo in my 4 years here. I couldn't believe it. However, even the rain couldn't damper people's spirits and we all stayed out there til the end. After the parade, Mark and I went and played volleyball with his roommate Jake and some of Jake's friends. We hit up Summer Sno and I converted Mark to the deliciousness of it and Tiger's Blood. Once back in Provo, we headed to the Elms pool for some sun time and water basketball. Then we went straight down to Center Street for the Freedom Festival and Truman's performance. Those boys never cease to amaze me with their talent and sound :) We walked around there, people watching, enjoying the sights, before heading home and crashing in Mark's AC'd apartment to watch a movie. We needed that downtime to cool off and relax after our busy morning. Right before we left to meet everyone for the fireworks, we picked up some pizzas and then joined up with the group to hang out, play music and watch the stadium of fire...WITHOUT paying. I would've liked to have been closer, but it ended up being alright. The company was good and even the rain didn't stop us from getting down with the music.
Overall the weekend was fabulous and I can't wait til we head home in a couple weeks for Sarah's wedding and a fun-filled California adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have had a great start to your summer! You have such a fun life! Shaved ice is my fav, I will have to check out this Summer Sno next time we are in Provo! We are usually in Provo for the 4th and I REALLY missed being there this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer Sno is DELISH. it's on state street in orem. i definitely recommend it! And i know you're usually in utah for the 4th...my mom said you didn't come up this year....but i was at that rodeo and i SWORE i saw your family suburban haha. i had to call home to find out if it was you guys! (obviously it wasn't) but that would've been fun if it was! i'm coming home next weekend so i'll be in church and i'll see your cute fam then! :)

    ReplyDelete