Friday, March 6, 2009

engaged?!?

Being at BYU has not been the easiest thing when it comes to dating, courtship, engagement and then marriage. It seems that more and more of my friends are getting engaged and married this year, more so than in years past. What frustrates me the most is that the majority of them are recently returned missionaries, missionaries who have been home for barely a year, if that! It's outstanding how quickly these RM's, guys I met my freshman year (2005-2006), are finding girls to seriously date, fall in love with, and decide to get married to. I've been here FOUR years and have had ONE serious relationship. And sure, I may be the exception to all of this, but doesn't it look bad when people who haven't been at BYU as long as you have are getting engaged?! And better yet, people (girls, mostly) that are YOUNGER than me are getting married. At this rate, it looks like I'll be 27 and still in the singles ward. GAH.
Sure sure, I'm still young. I'm only 21. But there is SO MUCH PRESSURE on me to date, to marry, etc, especially since everyone else is doing it, and because I'm GRADUATING in August. Once I leave Provo, not gonna lie, it seems like my chances diminish much more rapidly. Everyone says "oh you'll find someone in California." But to be honest, if I hadn't found anyone in my 17 years living there, and all those times coming back for holidays, I'm pretty sure I'm not gonna find anyone now. I think I'd much rather stay in Provo for a little while longer, take my chances with the lame-o guys here than try and find someone in California, since I already know there aren't many options there.

Okay, that's my rant. I apologize to those that read my blog for all the negativity the last little while. There's a lot of pressure on me right now...

1 comment:

  1. Kayla, Kayla, Kayla! Give yourself a break! Have fun and enjoy life, it will all fall into place, including falling in love! I met Nate HERE in Calif. in the WLV singles ward! He was the "new boy" in town. I left Provo and look what I found...... I struggled with leaving but felt like I needed to come home and get back on track with a few things. Stay on track, do what's right and most importantly enjoy where you are in life RIGHT NOW! You will find your prince charming when the time is right and he will be SOOOO lucky to have found you!
    hugs to you and have a HAPPY day!

    ReplyDelete