Wednesday, February 6, 2013

18 years.

I remember the day you were born. Clearly, in fact. It's probably one of my clearest, earliest memories. We had stopped at the doctor's office for one last quick check up for mom and you. The doctor told her she needed to go to the hospital like, ten minutes ago. This wasn't in the plan. We were supposed to go pick up Grandma from the airport.
But momma did what the doctor asked, and got us girls over to the Wright's house for safe keeping while someone else picked up Grandma, and mom got a ride to the hospital.
Once Grandma was there, we all headed home to settle in for bed. We all slept together in Momma's bed. Late that night, the phone rang and it went to the answering machine. We woke up to hear that we had a new brother.
I remember you coming home from the hospital. I was so excited to see you and to hold you. I was scared to drop you as I walked across the room to the blue chairs to sit while I held you.
You have always been such a sweet boy. We loved having you around. You were cute and cuddly and adorable. We asked you over and over again to show us your muscles when you went through your Hercules phase. You were shy in front of strangers. You would willingly and gladly get whatever we asked you to from anywhere in the house.
You once said, "I'm only 11!" And then all of a sudden, you knew all about sarcasm and puns, and were cracking jokes as easily as you played video games.
I was so blessed to see you start high school and seminary and become a teenager who explored his surroundings and started to understand some of my random references to pop culture. We started liking the same things and we could talk about our favorite tv shows and movies and music.
I'm not sure when it happened, but all of a sudden, you grew up. And here you are, an adult, months away from graduation. And months away from finding out which college you're attending. And as much as you've become my friend, you will always be my little brother (even if you've been towering over me since 9th grade). I will always see you as that boy that exclaimed, "I'm only 11!" when asked about girls.
You are a remarkable person and I am so proud of the person you have become. I'll love you for always, Happy Birthday Bryce!














1 comment:

  1. Why do you do this to me? I can't even get past the first picture. I'll have to read this in the privacy of my own home so the tears can freely spill.

    ReplyDelete