except this time, it was ME that said it....
I was working with my group of 7th graders, discussing light and how we are able to see colors.
In my group (this is necessary for this to be funny) we had one boy and four girls.
Out of the four girls, one, Sammi, is Black.
Everyone else is White.
So we talked about how opaque objects absorb all colors except the one that they show, that one is reflected.
Our example was a red apple: it absorbs all colors but red, which it reflects.
In their textbook, it showed the red apple under different lights: under red, it showed red, while the leaves (which were green to begin with) were black.
Under green light, the apple was black and the leaves were green.
To make it more applicable, I said, "What if I shine a green light on your face?" (directed towards Sammi)
She proceeds to answer saying, "I would look black.....HEY! That's racist!"
At that, she and I lost it. We started laughing hysterically, tears forming in our eyes.
She knew I wasn't making a jab at her, that it was completely on accident, but it was hilarious, nonetheless.
To show that I had no preferences one way or the other, I did this same test to the other kids, and they all came up with the same conclusion: a green light on their face would make them look black.
Needless to say, it was not forgotten, and actually, Sammi proceeded to tell anyone who would listen what I said. :)
Oh science....how politically incorrect you may be. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment