Wednesday, February 3, 2010

kids say (and do) the darndest things

Preface:
There is a boy in my 8th grade class that I work with and the last two weeks, he has done exceptionally well in his tutorial groups, so, his tutors (me, and another) gave him extra points. He was with me yesterday and automatically started asking for extra points. I told him he needed to earn them.

Story:
He didn't start things off on the right foot. He wasn't being bad per se, but he wasn't apt to pay attention. Rather, he chatted with the girl next to him instead of asking/answering questions. Granted, if I said his name, he would turn and apologize and pay attention for a few minutes.
He started to realize halfway through the class that I most likely wasn't going to give him the extra points and so he started trying to persuade me to change my mind.
Picture this:
I am standing at the white board with my back to all of them, writing down math answers for another student's question. He slyly pulls out a dollar bill, in order to bribe me. With my back still turned, he tosses the crumpled up dollar at the white board where I see it land in the tray next to me. Before I even had a chance to say anything (even though I was thinking of a clever, witty response that probably would've been way too inappropriate), his teacher says, "Zach, did you just throw a dollar at her?"
Now this sent me into uncontrolled laughter. I turn and ask if he's trying to bribe me, and did he really think a dollar was going to sway me? In my head though I'm thinking, "oh this kid thinks i'm easy! a dollar bill, tossed at me, is likened to dollars handed to strippers/prostitutes/etc" The irony of the situation was too much to handle and I laughed loudly. I handed it back to him and said, I can't take this. And he responds with, don't think of it as taking, think of it as you found it. (and this was said in a weird, almost seductive accent ha).
He then asked his buddy for another dollar and tossed that at me too, saying, go get yourself a mighty kids meal. bahaha. oh these boys. thinking they can buy my grades with measly dollar bills.
don't they know i'm worth more than that?! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment