While watching the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States of America, and while perusing the status updates on Facebook, I noticed the excitement for a "new day", for "change" and for the end of these "long 8 years". Don't get me wrong, I understand probably more than most the significance of this day, of the first African-American man to hold the highest office in the land. However, I also understand the need for support of our leaders, especially in this day and age. The comments I have seen signifying people's reliefs that Bush's tenure is FINALLY over disappoints me in a way much greater than anything else. If you actually listened to the oath given to both the President and Vice-President, they swear to defend the country and protect it from foreign and domestic enemies. You may not have agreed with Bush's policies or they way he went about keeping his oath to the nation, whether it's because you're in a different political party than he, or for some other reason, but you have to agree that he did what he had to in order to maintain the freedom and the integrity of our great country. He kept his morals, no scandals came out about him, and although he decided to lead us into this war, anyone in his position after September 11th would have made that same decision. There was pressure from all sides of the nation to retaliate after the destruction in New York, Pennsylvania and the Pentagon. If he had not acted, the public would still have been angry with him. He was in a lose-lose situation, and he chose the lesser of the two evils, to defend our rights, our liberties, our Constitution, and to stand by the oath he made to defend against foreign enemies. Bush was thrust into one of the worst catastrophes of this nation's history, 9 months into his presidency. He had no chance to hesitate. I believe he did all he could during his presidency to ensure that another attack did not occur. Years from now, we will look back and understand the significance of his presidency and we will respect all that he did for us.
State your mind. But be educated about what you're saying. Have evidence to defend your opinion. Saying "I just don't like him" is not good enough. We are a nation of various ideals, and we have the right to state them, because of people like Bush, and Washington, and Lincoln, who defended them in times of crises.
For all those who do not like President Obama, have reasons why. But support him nonetheless. Because if our enemies see that our leaders are losing support, they will have even more reason to attack us, they will see that we are vulnerable and unable to defend ourselves. I may not agree with everything he says, but I pray that he will follow through with all that he has promised, that he will rise above my expectations, and prove me wrong. I will support him because he is my president.
AMEN! Nicely stated!
ReplyDelete